How are you going to do to scale your fulfilment to cope with your sales growth in 2017?
We've surveyed some of the fastest growing e-commerce companies around, and have combined the results in our 2017 E-Commerce Fulfilment Report. We hope it will give you some useful insights to help plan your fulfilment strategy for so you can take your e-commerce business to the next level.
While many of the retailers surveyed enjoyed strong growth in 2016, this is broadly in line with figures for the online retailing sector as a whole. However, in 2017 and beyond, an increasingly global, super-competitive e-commerce arena means retailers can no longer afford the luxury of inefficiencies in any area of their warehouse and fulfilment operations.
The 2017 E-Commerce Fulfilment Report has identified a number of potential pressure points which are likely to grow into more serious problems for many online businesses as they continue to scale rapidly. Left unchecked indefinitely, these have the potential of risking sustainable, profitable growth, and for some, business survival.
Potential pitfalls for online businesses and consequences
- Poor inventory management resulting in overselling and underselling
- Erosion of hard won repeat business/customer loyalty from inaccurate/delayed shipping
- Inability to identify/respond quickly and profitably to new market opportunities/peak period
- Increasing returns from packing and shipping errors
- Lost market opportunities from poor purchasing and forecasting decisions
- Low productivity through inefficient picking routes/warehouse layout
- Escalating labour, storage and other overheads
Fortunately, for those retailers still without or delaying investment in dedicated WMS and carrier management platforms, it is now easier than ever before to equip their warehouses with the tools necessary for maximising productivity, accuracy and profitability.
With the advent of Cloud Computing, the availability of affordable, easy to implement and use Software-as-a-Service platforms is making it possible for online and multichannel retailers, of all sizes and at all stages of their development, to access and quickly take advantage of scalable, fit for purpose e-commerce fulfilment solutions.